Star Maidens aka Die Mädchen aus dem Weltraum (Germany) and Les Filles Du Ciel (France/Canada) was a British-German science-fiction television series made by Portman Productions for ITV. It was partly financed by a German company Werbung im Rundfunk. It consisted of one series of 13 episodes. It was filmed throughout 1975 at Bray Studios and on location in Windsor, Bracknell, and Black Park, Buckinghamshire. It originally ran from 1st September 1976 until 1st December 1976.
- Pierre Brice as Adam
- Garteh Thomas (Blake’s 7, Children of the Stones, Quatermass and the Pit) as Shem
- Judy Geeson (Doomwatch, Space:1999, Man in a Suitcase, Danger Man) as Supreme Councilor Fulvia
- Christiane Kruger as Supreme Councilor Octavia
- Derek Farr (The Dam Busters, The Saint) as Professor Evans
- Liz Harrow (Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Space: 1999, The Professionals) as Dr Liz Becker
- Christian Quadflieg as Dr Rudi Schmidt
- Dawn Addams (The Vampire Lovers, The Saint, The Vault of Horror, Dial M for Murder) as Clara
The series presents a “battle of the sexes” and role-reversal scenario in which two male “domestics” escape from the female-ruled planet Medusa and, arriving on Earth, are pursued by the Medusan security forces. When the Medusans fail to re-capture the two men, they bring two human hostages—a man and a woman—back with them to their home planet. The series focuses on the two groups’ attempts to adapt to life on the different planets while brokering an exchange for the hostages.
Star Maidens attempted to capture the sexual equality revelationof of the time, and features several female dominance. The series has some similarities with the British science-fiction series Space:1999, whose second season was in pre production at Pinewood around the same time. Although Star Maidens was shot at Bray Studios by a different production company and did not benefit from as large a budget, both series featured the work of production designer Keith Wilson, whose prop and set designs from Space:1999 were adapted for Star Maidens, leading to a very similar look and feel. Lead actresses Judy Geeson and Lisa Harrow appeared in guest roles in the first season of Space:1999, Geeson in the episode “Another Time, Another Place” and Harrow “The Testament of Arkadia”. For the series’ German dub, German natives Christiane Krüger and Christian Quadflieg provided their own voices, while the voices of the British cast were dubbed by other German actors.
Categories: Cult TV