IDW’s relaunch of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has been a hit with fans and critics alike. Now, collect the series in all-new oversized hardcovers that present the stories in recommended reading order.
Collects the first 12 issues of the new ongoing series, plus the Raphael, Michelangelo, Donatello, Leonardo, and Splinter Micro-Series one-shots spliced in-between.
Hamato Yoshi is a member of the Foot Clan led by Oroku Saki during Japan’s feudal period. After seeing Saki act ruthlessly, Yoshi leaves the Clan and is marked a traitor, and Saki orders Yoshi’s entire family to be put to death. Yoshi’s wife, Tang Shen, is attacked and severely wounded, and with her last breath she beseeches Yoshi to protect himself and the children. He flees with the boys and remains on the run for several years. Saki, who will later be known as Shredder, eventually finds Yoshi and his children, and murders them all.
Yoshi and his sons’ spirits are reincarnated in modern times as a gray rat and four green turtles in a research laboratory called Stock Gen, owned by Baxter Stockman, a scientist who has secretly allied himself with Krang. An intern at Stock Gen, April O’Neil, names the turtles after Renaissance artists: Leonardo, Michelangelo, Donatello, and Raphael. Members of the Foot Clan break into the facility to steal an alien mutagen. The animals are taken by mistake, and when they and the stolen mutagen get lost in the sewer, they are covered with the spilled mutagen and transformed into enlightened, humanoid beings.
Yoshi, now called Splinter, remembers his past life and begins to train the turtles in the art of ninjutsu. Unfortunately, the seemingly trivial event which led to the creation of the Turtles and Splinter is part of an escalating conflict between several powers trying to take control of the Earth:
- The Foot Clan, with their leader Shredder, who has survived into the new age due to the machinations of the shape-shifting witch Kitsune;
- the Utrom warlord Krang, who plans to terraform Earth into a new home for the last survivors of his race;
- the zealous government agent John Bishop, leader of the Earth Protection Force, who seeks to eradicate mutantkind and aliens;
- the mysterious Madame Null and her enterprise Null Group, a business conglomerate with its hands in many ventures and ties to other dimensions which deliberately creates mutants as a slave workforce;
- and a mysterious Pantheon of immortal creatures, with some of them are seeking to subvert humanity to their will, as they once did in bygone times.
Finding new allies as they go, the Turtles are forced to strive against enemies and save the world from total destruction as this many-fold conflict begins to spin out of control.