Richard Attenborough’s renowned, star-studded historical biopic Young Winston follows the early years of one of Britain’s most beloved and controversial figures – Winston Churchill.
Writer-producer Carl Foreman (High Noon, The Bridge on the River Kwai) was approached by Churchill himself, who suggested his own book, My Early Life: A Roving Commission, would make a good film. The result is a lavish and beautifully detailed drama, with Simon Ward in the lead role, detailing Churchill’s service as a cavalry officer in India and the Sudan, as a war correspondent in the Second Boer War, and his election to Parliament at the age of 26.
Forman and Attenborough assembled a sterling cast in support: Robert Shaw, Anne Bancroft, Jack Hawkins, Ian Holm, Anthony Hopkins, Patrick Magee, Edward Woodward, and John Mills add weight to Attenborough’s vision of the man and the myth.
INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES:
- High Definition remaster
- Two presentations of the film: the original theatrical run and the roadshow version containing unique footage
- Original mono audio
- Reflections of a Director (2007): an archival interview with director Richard Attenborough
- A National Hero Brought to Life (2007): an archival interview with actor Simon Ward
- Interview with stunt double Vic Armstrong (2019)
- Interview with special effects artist John Richardson (2019)
- Interview with make-up artist Robin Grantham (2019)
- Interview with assistant director William Cartlidge (2019)
- Interview with second assistant director Brian W Cook (2019)
- Original theatrical trailer
- Image gallery: on-set and promotional photography
- New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
- Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Sergio Angelini, an overview of contemporary critical responses, archival articles, and film credits
- Limited Edition of 3,000 copies