Perhaps the grandest of Universal’s silent films―and featuring arguably its first iconic movie monster―The Hunchback of Notre Dame stars Lon Chaney in the role which transformed him from a respected character actor to a global superstar.
Chaney stars as Quasimodo, the mocked and vilified bell-ringer of Notre Dame who selflessly protects the star-crossed street performer Esmerelda (Patsy Ruth Miller), who is in an ill-fated love affair with the dashing Captain Phoebus (Norman Kerry).
A “Super Jewel” adaptation of Victor Hugo’s novel, Universal spared no expense on this lavish production, and were rewarded with the most financially successful silent film they had released up to that point. Lon Chaney’s performance and make-up work are already legendary, but the rest of the film is as deserving of praise – a beautiful nightmare now fully restored in 4K and making its UK debut on Blu-ray as part of the Masters of Cinema series.
You can pre-order HERE.
SPECIAL EDITION BLU-RAY FEATURES
- Limited Edition O-Card Slipcase (First print-run of 2000 copies only)
- 1080p presentation on Blu-ray from a 4K restoration conducted by Universal Pictures
- Music by Nora Kroll-Rosenbaum & Laura Karpman (presented in uncompressed LPCM stereo)
- Brand new audio commentary with author Stephen Jones and author/critic Kim Newman
- Brand new interview with author/critic Kim Newman on the many adaptations of Victor Hugo’s novel
- Brand new interview with film historian Jonathan Rigby
- PLUS: A collector’s booklet featuring a new essay by journalist Philip Kemp, illustrated with archival imagery