The storyline of Bucky O’Hare takes place in a parallel universe (the aniverse), where a war is ongoing between the slightly inept United Animals Federation (run by mammals) and the sinister Toad Empire. The Toad Empire is led by a vast computer system known as KOMPLEX, which has brainwashed the toad population. It ran for 13 episodes in 1991.
Bucky and his gang are members of the S.P.A.C.E organization, which stands for Sentient Protoplasm Against Colonial Encroachment.
- Bucky O’Hare –- a green hare, captains a mammal spaceship named The Righteous Indignation. His crew was introduced in the comic and consisted of:
- Jenny –– first mate and pilot, a cat from the planet Aldebaran with mysterious magical and psionic powers common to the females of her species. They include telepathy, astral projection, energy blasts, and healing. Because of the sacred precepts of Alderbaran, she keeps these powers secret from the other members of the crew, with the exception of Willy, to whom she serves as a kind of surrogate mother.
- Willy DuWitt – – engineer, a pre-teen human from San Francisco who enters the Aniverse via a portal between the ship’s photon accelerator and his own accelerator at home. He replaced Bruce, the former engineer, who was killed (or in the franchise’s terms, had “attained oneness with the Aniverse”). Later, Willy became stranded in the Aniverse when his parents turned off the photon accelerator back in his room. Bucky and his crew decide to keep Willy a secret from the S.P.A.C.E organization and the Toads.
- Deadeye Duck – – gunner, a four-armed former space pirate duck from Kanopis III. He is missing an eye, and is impatient and violent, preferring to let his four laser pistols do the talking for him. Speaks with a Scottish accent in the comics.
- Blinky – – an advanced AFC (“Android” First Class). Has only one eye. Uses the phrase “Calamity and Woe!” to identify problem situations for Bucky and his crew-mates.
- Bruiser – – Bruce’s brother, a Betelgeusian Berserker Baboon who joins Bucky’s team as space marine on the Righteous Indignation. He, like all berserker baboons, scares the toads out of their wits and loves to beat them up. He is dimwitted but well-meaning, and has great respect for Willy.
Categories: Cult Cartoon Essentials