Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins, also released as Remo: Unarmed and Dangerous, is a 1985 American action-adventure-thriller film directed by Guy Hamilton. The film featured Fred Ward, Joel Grey, Wilford Brimley and Kate Mulgrew.
The character is based on The Destroyer pulp paperback series. The movie was the only adaptation featuring the character Remo Williams, and fared poorly in theatres. It received mixed reviews from critics, although it did earn Joel Grey a Golden Globe nomination. The film and a Remo Williams television pilot both credited Dick Clark as executive producer. The film was supposed to be the first of a series based on The Destroyer series of novels.
- Fred Ward as Remo Williams
- Joel Grey as Chiun
- Wilford Brimley as Harold Smith
- J.A. Preston as Conn MacCleary
- George Coe as General Scott Watson
- Charles Cioffi as George Grove
- Kate Mulgrew as Major Rayner Fleming
- Michael Pataki as Jim Wilson
- Reginald VelJohnson as Ambulance Driver
- Jon Polito as Zack
- Gene LeBell as Red
- Sebastian Ligarde as Pvt. Johnson
- Tom McBride as “Jim” in the television soap opera
- Suzanne Snyder as “Nurse” in the television soap opera
- William Hickey as Coney Island Barker
- Patrick Kilpatrick as Stone
Sam Makin (Ward) is a tough New York City, Brooklyn precinct street cop and Vietnam-era Marine Corps veteran unwillingly recruited as an assassin for a secret United States organization, CURE. The recruitment is through a bizarre method: his death is faked so that there will be no questions asked as to his disappearance. Rechristened “Remo Williams” (after the name and location of the manufacturer of the bedpan in Makin’s hospital room), his face is surgically altered and he is trained to be a human killing machine by his aged, derisive and impassive Korean martial arts master Chiun (Joel Grey).
Though Remo’s training is extremely rushed by Chiun’s standards, Remo learns such skills as dodging bullets and running on water. Chiun teaches Remo the Korean martial art named “Sinanju”. Remo’s instruction is interrupted when he is sent by CURE to investigate a corrupt weapons procurement program within the US Army.
Categories: Cult Movies