Originally developed as a star vehicle for Burt Lancaster, the lead role in the gripping revenge noir Dark City ultimately became the Hollywood debut of 26-year-old Charlton Heston, already confidently wielding the intense, rugged charisma that would define his career.
Once a decorated war hero, Danny Haley (played by Heston) now leads a group of small-time card sharks who know a sucker when they see one. They cheat their latest mark, Arthur (Don DeFore, Ramrod) out of $5000 at the poker table; but when Arthur hangs himself in despair, his unstable, hulking older brother (Mike Mazurki, Night and the City) seeks violent revenge on the grifters responsible. As the bodies pile up, Danny and his lover, nightclub singer Fran (Lizabeth Scott, Too Late For Tears), flee to Las Vegas… but Danny is about to learn he can’t hide from the consequences of his actions.
Expertly directed by William Dieterle (The Devil and Daniel Webster) and featuring a terrific supporting cast (including future Dragnet stars Jack Webb and Harry Morgan), Dark City is a nail-biting suspense classic that heralded a future screen icon.
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
- High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray™ presentation
- Original uncompressed mono audio
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Audio commentary by writer, historian and film programmer Alan K. Rode
- Newly filmed appreciation by critic Philip Kemp
- Theatrical trailer
- Image gallery
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Tonci Zonjic
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Booklet featuring new writing on the film by Barry Forshaw