Often acknowledged as one of the best prison films ever made, Birdman of Alcatraz was director John Frankenheimer s first huge success and received rave reviews for its performances, cinematography (by the great Burnett Guffey; From Here to Eternity, Bonnie and Clyde) and Frankenheimer s directing.
Burt Lancaster stars as the notorious prisoner, Robert Stroud, sentenced to a life of solitary confinement for murdering a prison guard. When he finds an injured sparrow in the prison yard, Stroud nurses it back to health and discovers a new calling in life. Over the years he becomes a renowned ornithologist, and even a respected author, achieving a greater sense of purpose behind prison walls than many in the outside world will ever know.
With an all-star cast that includes Karl Malden ( A Streetcar Named Desire), Thelma Ritter ( Pickup on South Street), Telly Savalas ( The Dirty Dozen) and Edmond O Brien ( The Barefoot Contessa), The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present John Frankenheimer s Birdman of Alcatraz for the first time on Blu-ray in the UK.
DUAL FORMAT SPECIAL FEATURES
- 1080p presentation of the film on Blu-ray, with a progressive encode on the DVD.
- LPCM mono soundtrack (Uncompressed on the Blu-ray)
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
- Audio commentary with film historian and editor Paul Seydor, moderated by Twilight Time’s Julie Kirgo and Nick Redman
- Illusion of Freedom: Richard H. Kline on John Frankenheimer s Birdman of Alcatraz (29 mins) a new video piece on the film
- An exclusive new video interview with film historian Sheldon Hall
- Original theatrical trailer
- A collector s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Travis Crawford, as well as a selection of archival imagery from the film s production