Zac Hobson (Bruno Lawrence, As Time Goes By), a scientist working on a pioneering energy project, wakes up one morning to find that the technology has malfunctioned, leaving him as seemingly the only man left on earth. As Zac wanders the deserted city of Hamilton, New Zealand, hoping to find some remnant of life besides himself, his mind begins to disintegrate until fantasy and reality blur together in a heady, terrifying cocktail.
Directed by Geoff Murphy (Under Siege 2, Freejack) and adapted from the 1982 novel of the same name, The Quiet Earth has attained cult status as one of the most distinctive post-apocalyptic sci-fi movies of the 1980s. By turns haunting, surreal and inscrutable, the film asks questions about humankind s insatiable appetite for destruction that are arguably as prescient today as they were at the time of its release thirty years ago.
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
- Lossless 5.1 surround and 2.0 stereo audio options
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- New audio commentary by critic Travis Crawford
- New video essay on the film by critic Bryan Reesman
- New interview with critic Kim Newman on the post-apocalyptic movies of the 1980s
- Original theatrical trailer
- Stills gallery
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Laz Marquez
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector s booklet featuring new writing by Amy Simmons