Peter Claver Cullen (born July 28, 1941) is a Canadian voice actor. He is best known as the original voice of Optimus Prime (as well as Ironhide) in the original 1980s Transformers animated series, Venger in Dungeons and Dragons, and Eeyore in the Winnie-the-Pooh franchise. He also voiced Monterey Jack in Chip ‘n Dale Rescue Rangers from seasons one to three, and is also known for his contribution to the voice of The Predator in Predator. Starting in 2007, Peter Cullen has reprised his role as Optimus Prime in related Transformers media, starting with the first live-action film.
Cullen appeared on a number of television shows:
- Coran, Stride the Tiger Fighter, and King Alfor in Voltron
- Ramrod, the transforming spaceship/robot in the 1980s anime series Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs
- Commander James Hawkins in Vehicle Voltron
- Eeyore in the Winnie-the-Pooh series,
- KARR in Knight Rider
- Antor and Bomba, and Gunner, in Dino-Riders
- Airbourne, Nemesis Enforcer and Zandar in G.I. Joe
- “Mantor/Mantys” in Coleco’s 5 episode mini-series Sectaurs
- Red Skull in the 1981 cartoon series of Spider-Man
- Klaar and Zanzoar in Megas XLR and Mantus in The Pirates of Dark Water.
- He also had a voice part in the 1984 motion picture Gremlins, as a gremlin.
- He reprised his role of KARR in the 2008 Knight Rider series.
- Japeth (and others) in The Greatest Adventure: Stories from the Bible series.
- Renwick in Little Wizards.
- Cindarr in Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Light.
Among many other television series and films, he has also lent his basso voice to many film trailers and television commercials, including announcing for the Toonami and You Are Here blocks on the Cartoon Network. Cullen spent some of his early professional years in Montreal as a radio announcer/DJ on CKGM; and as a character in a then-popular local television kids show. He acted the role of a French-Canadian astronaut, along with writer and his partner on the show, Ted Ziegler. Both Ziegler and Cullen were spotted in the credits and doing small cameo walk-ons in various comedic roles on The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour, as well as other network comedies of the era.
He voiced Nintendo’s mascot Mario in the Donkey Kong segments on Saturday Supercade, making him the first person to ever provide a voice for the character.
Cullen has done voice work on drum and bass DJ Dieselboy’s 2004 album, The Dungeonmaster’s Guide, and narration on the 2013 album Tetragrammaton by the Dutch extreme metal band The Monolith Deathcult. He also did voicework for the unreleased Blizzard Entertainment game Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans, and provided narration for the Star Wars fan film series I.M.P.S.: The Relentless. Cullen is also a voice announcer on Police Story 4: First Strike in advertisements for New Line Cinema.
1 thought on “Peter Cullen”