MARI, SEVENTEEN, IS DYING. EVEN FOR HER THE WORST IS YET TO COME!
The directorial debut of Wes Craven, the man behind such horror favourites as A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Hills Have Eyes and Scream, The Last House on the Left justly retains its reputation as one of the most harrowing cinematic experiences of all time, nearly half a century on from its original release.
On the eve of her 17th birthday, Mari and friend Phyllis set off from her family home to the big city to attend a concert by shock-rockers Bloodlust. Attempting to pick up some marijuana on the way, the pair run afoul of a group of vicious crooks, headed up by the sadistic and depraved Krug (David Hess). Gagged and bound, the young women are bundled into a car trunk and driven to the woods, where the gang subject them to a terrifying ordeal of sexual humiliation, torture and murder.
Unleashed on an unsuspecting public in 1972, The Last House on the Left shocked audiences with its graphic and unflinching portrayal of interpersonal violence, paving the way for a whole host of cheap imitators looking to capitalise on its success. It is Wes Craven s original alone, however, that remains one of the true watershed moments in horror (and indeed, film) history.
3 DISC LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
- Three cuts of the film newly restored in 2K from original film elements
- Original uncompressed mono audio
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- 6 x collector’s postcards
- Double-sided fold-out poster
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork
- Limited edition 60-page perfect-bound book featuring new writing on the film by author Stephen Thrower
- Soundtrack CD
DISC ONE [BLU-RAY] – THE UNRATED CUT
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the Unrated Version
- Isolated score newly remastered from the original 17.5″ magnetic tracks
- Brand new and archival audio commentaries
- Archival introduction to the film by Wes Craven
- Archival interviews with Wes Craven and David Hess
- Celluloid Crime of the Century – Archival documentary featuring interviews with Wes Craven, Sean S. Cunningham, actors David Hess, Fred Lincoln, Jeramie Rain, Marc Sheffler and Martin Kove
- It’s Only a Movie: The Making of Last House in the Left – archival featurette
- Forbidden Footage – the cast and crew discuss the film’s most controversial sequences
- Junior’s Story – a brand new interview with actor Marc Sheffler
- Blood and Guts- a brand new interview with makeup artist Anne Paul
- The Road Leads to Terror – a brand new featurette revisiting the film’s original shooting locations
- Deleted Scene, trailer and more!
DISC TWO – THE ‘KRUG & COMPANY’ AND R-RATED CUTS
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the Krug & Company and R-Rated cuts of the film
- The Craven Touch – a brand new featurette bringing together interviews with a number of Wes Craven’s collaborators
- Early Days and Night of Vengeance – filmmaker Roy Frumkes remembers Wes Craven and Last House on the Left
- Tales That’ll Tear Your Heart Out – unfinished short film by Wes Craven
- Q&A with Marc Sheffler from a 2017 screening of the film at The American Cinematheque
- Krug Conquers England – archival featurette charting the theatrical tour of the first ever uncut screening of the film in the UK
DISC THREE [CD] – ‘THE LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT’ ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK
- CD featuring the complete, newly remastered film score